Local dad issues warning after smart light scare

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (FTN) – A Terre Haute dad said he received quite the scare early Friday morning after he accidentally turned on the Hue light in his son’s bedroom.

Now he has a warning for other parents.

It happened just after midnight to 35-year-old Chris Essex.

Essex said he attempted to use his phone to turn off other smart lights inside his house, but accidentally tapped the button turning on the light in two-year-old Alex Essex’s room.

“I’ve always been scared of doing this. They are all grouped together. All it takes is one tap…and you could be awake for an hour with your kid,” Essex said.

He told us he likes having the light in his son’s room, because they can adjust the brightness or color, giving Alex a little extra nightlight if he needs it.

Chris said Alex didn’t wake up this time, but he wants to tell his story to help save other parents.

“Obviously…a bad wake up at midnight is worst case scenario. I’m thankful it didn’t happen this time. If I could say one thing to other parents? Be careful. Make sure of what you are pressing,” Essex said.

Experts say if it happens to you, the only thing you can do is turn it off right away…cuss (very) quietly to yourself…and hold your breath.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s